Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Bake! Again

Today I came home from school and I immediately wanted to bake. My mom was working, Ella and Abe were busy, and Sadie was at tennis: this was one of the rare times in my life that was ideal for baking. I got permission from my mom and soon I was looking through every cookbook I own, trying to find a recipe that was quick, easy, and most importantly, delicious. As I have done many times before, I fell to using one of my favorite cookbooks, The Big Book of Cupcakes, which my dear friend Anna gave me for my birthday. I looked through it, trying to find a recipe without frosting that tasted good and that was super quick. I quickly found the perfect recipe, Fudgie Babies, and I can tell you that they turned out very well.

I started by melting the chocolate and the butter in the microwave. 
  • Confession #1: Instead of putting the chocolate and butter in a bowl and putting the bowl over a pot of boiling water to melt it, I simply melted it in the microwave.
  • Confession #2: I used 3/4 cups of chocolate chips instead of chocolate baking squares








While I let this cool, in as large mixing bowl I mixed flour, sugar, and eggs together. 

I sadly say goodbye to to the cleanliness of this white bowl as I prepare to start mixing.








Then I added the chocolate mixture to the flour-egg-sugar mixture.


I made lots of mistakes,
As you can see, I accidentally mixed a little too energetically.

When I was pouring the chocolate mixture into the flour-egg-sugar mixture, I accidentally dropped the chocolate mixture into the other ingredients.
I made lots of other mistakes, (I didn't even bother to take a picture of my sleeve) but they got into the oven without any serious mishap,

And soon they were out of the oven, and in my mouth!




Tonight, our dinner was provide by my mom's dear friend who has been praying for us and who got us flowers along with dinner. We all are now enjoying our delicious meal!

Fudgy Baby Cakes
From: The Big Book of Cupcakes Cookbook

You will need:

  • 6 (1-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking squares 
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose soft-wheat flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • paper baking cups
  • vegetable cooking spray
  • powdered sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Pour water to a depth of 1 inch into the bottom of a double boiler over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer; place chocolate and butter on top of double boiler over simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until melted. Remove mixture from heat, and cool ten minutes. 
3. Whisk together sugar, flour, and eggs in a large bowl; add chocolate mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in vanilla and salt.
4. Place paper baking cups in 2 (12 cups) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Be careful not to over bake; they should be gooey. (They will crack and sink in the middle;  this is normal). Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
6. Sift powdered sugar over the top of each  cupcake.

Tips: Please Read

  • If you don't have chocolate baking squares, just use 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips. Mine turned out fine.
  • For #2 , it is easier to simply melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan or in your microwave. 

Enjoy them!


-Mia Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment