Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dinner at our House w/ Grandma

I am literally astonished that this post exists.  I thought for sure that this post would be published following another post, on a different subject, that I was supposed to post about (a.k.a a museum).  However, I couldn't take pictures at the museum and therefore I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to post at all.  I also had no idea that I would have anything to post about at all, but this post survived, drastically changed and hastily written.

For dinner tonight, we are having homemade meatballs w/ penne noodles, or "pasta." Because we make every thing but the noodles from scratch, I think our pasta is far superior to any other pasta.

We started this meal by making the meatballs. For our meatballs we use ground pork, and we mix it with spices, crushed saltine crackers, and of course, Romano cheese. 


While I scooped the meatballs with an ice cream scooper, Ella rolled the meatballs into neater balls. Soon, they were in the frying pan and sizzling away. 





While I typed the previous section, Ella started making our sauce, which is about as non-complex as it gets - if you make a single batch. We, however, make our sauce in bulk and so when ever we make it, there is a ton of juggling ingredients.




While we made the sauce, my Grandma cooked the meatballs and eventually put them in the crock-pot.



Then we poured the sauce on top of the meatballs in the crock-pot, and let it cook.
(Well, technically I headed to soccer practice, so they cooked the sauce.)




Then THEY made the salad, noodles, and croutons.

I had no idea that they were going to make croutons, but they did, and from what I've heard, all you do is cut up bread, butter it and then put it in the oven, and wala! you gave croutons.

I could be wrong.




Maybe they sprinkled salt on them too? Well, I'll never know.

For dinner we had:
  • Homemade Pasta
  • Salad
  • Croutons
  • Brownies

Spaghetti/Pasta Recipe
From: Grandma

You will need:

For the meat:
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 6-8 saltine crackers
  • 2 tsp. parsley
  • 1 Tb. Grated Romano cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
For the Sauce
  • 3- 10 oz. Tomato Sauce
  • 1-Small Tomato Paste
  • 1-10 oz. can paste
  • 1- 10 oz. can water
  • 1 Tbs. Sugar
  • 1/2 c. Romano grated
Mix and brown meatballs. Drain. Add mixture for sauce. Simmer for 1 1/2 hrs. (simmer on low in slow cooker all day.

Enjoy!


3 comments: