Friday, March 01, 2013

My Parisian Diary (Day 1)


As soon as I woke up today, I got right to business. For one thing, I had schoolwork to wrap up, and for another, I had to pack for myself as well as make sure that our electronics were charged and that we packed chargers for each one. It was to be a big day.

I have been working for the past few weeks, or ever since we came back on the plane from America, in early January, for a kindle fire. I had the most unpleasant fortune to discover that I had left my kindle on the plane. This was horrible because it was most of my books in the Netherlands. The books weren’t lost forever, and I still had ways of getting to them. For instance, we have one of the first kindles ever made which we call “The Old Faithful Kindle,” but my mom mainly uses that, and I find it sometimes a little hard to use. I needed another kindle, because we had guaranteed that my kindle wasn’t to be gotten back.

So I researched all the kindles that Amazon had to offer. I eventually decided on a kindle fire, and today I had earned about 75% percent of my kindle,(which my parents had kindly bought without me knowing so that I wouldn’t have to wait until the summer to pick it up in America, but could earn it from them) and my mom kindly let me use the kindle for our trip to Paris.

I spent the morning getting everything ready, and working for my kindle. While my mom dropped off the pooch at a kennel, we had a pleasant surprise in the mail. A good friend who Abe admires sent him a package and a note, and so Abe was ecstatic.

Finally, we all got into the car and have been thus driving for almost 4 hours. We were well prepared, and neatly fit the bare minimum necessary for 4 days in our tiny car. We drove on for a couple of hours, stopped at Mcdonald’s for Belgian/American burgers, and kept on driving. And we still are driving. I am in the car, and hope to publish this when there is wi-fi.

As one random fun fact, Abe forgot his coat, as we realized 3 hours into the drive. This is ironic, because this morning, when I was packing my suitcase, I decided to pack my fleece in my bag, although I didn’t really need it. At the time I thought that it was stupid, but now I see that if I hadn’t, Abe would be coatless. God certainly provided in that respect.

As another fun fact, here, McDonald’s is basically the same here. But one difference is that internationally, they make traditional food. Like, for instance, a traditional Dutch food is essentially fried gravy, called a kroket, and so they make McKrokets at McDonold’s, and in France they make McBaguettes. We love it.
It really is getting rather late, so I take my leave.


2 comments:

  1. I love your post Mia! Oh, what a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE shame that you left your kindle...and there is absoluely no way of retrieving it??? I wonder what the plane people will do. Maybe they will steal it and read all your good books. Maybe they will auction it away for thrice the price you paid for it. Maybe they will throw it out the plane window when the plane is in flight. Therefore, there will be no oxygen left for the passengers and they'll all die. Then someday you'll be travelling and find a smashed kindle. "Whippee" you'll say "This is my kindle!" At any rate have a great time in Paris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't it so awesome you can litterally drive a few hours and go to PARIS? I would have to fly all the way over there for 8 hrs +! Also it is so halarious about the McBaguettes. That is just so funny. :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope I'll be there when Mia finds her smashed Kindle! :)

      Delete