Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Raindrops on Roses

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things"



Perhaps you recognize this verse from the movie, The Sound of Music. I love these beautiful words, but I, like my family, don't really feel afraid of storms. As one of my favorite books, A Wrinkle in Time,  states, "Wild nights are my glory!" and I most certainly agree.


Tonight, I was working on a homework assignment when Sadie, Ella, and Abe came in. You see, my room has become the headquarters for al of the children's meetings, and although I'm proud of it, at the moment I was quizzical and slightly annoyed. Then they pointed out the storm. 


It was a big one, with great gales of wind and water sloshing everywhere. In our genes, there is a love for storms, so we got out our stuffed animals and started making camp for them in the open window sills. 




Next, as a result of the open windows, we got cold so we piled into my wonderful, queen, bed. Sadie and I wrote and Ella and Abe chatted through their stuffed animals.




As I said before, we got cold, and after the blankets did nothing, we went to go get a help that we could trust... hot cocoa! We sipped our hot cocoa, chatted, and basically thought about the Sound of Music, and what we used to do when we drank hot cocoa.


What can I say? I've already said it in this post and in another post: bad weather = need for comfort. Although I love storms, one of the reasons I love them is because of the ways I attempt to get comfort through them. As I said in an earlier post called Comfort Food, sad times call for comfort food- which for us depends on what exactly seems comforting at the moment.


Tonight for dinner we're having 

  • Tortellini Soup
  •  Good Old American Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
  • Hot coco!
I know... it's nothing fancy, but for a rainy night... it'll do. 






Altogether, this meal was a hit for our family, and we are all thoroughly comforted and full!

No comments:

Post a Comment