Friday, June 15, 2012

I look at Grass in a New Light: I Learn to Mow

Hello. I thought to start out this rather odd post, I'd play a little guessing game.




Can you guess what this is?







Good job! You're right, it's grass. This post is about how I started to look at grass in a whole new light.

I guess I got a little further away from nature (and grass!) when I realized that I was allergic to it. Before then, I was a plant-o-maniac, and my room looked like a green house. Although I had not a green thumb, but a black thumb, I loved plants and every dying plant made me want to cry. I dreamed of trimming the hedge all by myself, mowing the lawn, etc. however, then I realized that I was allergic. I tried not to let it sap my enthusiasm, but it stunk.

Well, now to the optimistic part. As we moved here, we got a garden that required a lot more than weeding and mowing once a week. It was a miniature maze garden with beds of dwarf cherry trees, peonies, and other beautiful plants.

The maze needed trimming.  The peonies needed to be staked.  The weeds were simply overtaking the lavender.  And of course, the lawn needed to be mowed.

So my mom, already busy with homeschooling and housework simply didn't have enough time to take care of our garden, much less the grass. So, we got a lawn mower and I was given the honors.





I loved it!

Although our lawn mower is manual, and has its faults, this is just one more useful activity that I can choose to spend my free time doing.







1 comment: