Friday, January 06, 2012

A Random Story

Today, my class started mummifying a chicken. For the oddest reason, I started thinking about mummified animals, and thus, I thought about a story I read in a book.  A story of mummified crocodiles.

The Story of the Mummified Crocodiles


Once upon an egyptian night, there were some robbers who were digging in a certain area for treasure. Now, when I say treasure, I mean mummies, or tombs, but let me make it clear that they were looking for human mummies.

They dug for hours, and you can imagine they joy when they heard the cling of their shovels hitting something.They had high expectations of what they would find, so you can imagine their disappointment when they found a mummy, of a crocdile.

They probably cursed, but, they didn't want anyone to know what they found, so they burned the mummy. Then, they probably went to bed and dreamt about the injustice of having found the wrong kind of mummy.

The next night, they dug in the same place again, and probably hoped that maybe they had dug into the tomb of a rich lord, and they had just unearthed his pet crocodile, and they had not dug in the wrong place. But yet again, they found another crocodile mummy.

Over the course of I-don't-know-how-long, they dug up over 100 crocodile mummies. I can imagine how they probably stamped in indignation as they said, "NO! Not ANOTHER CROCODILE!!!!"

Somehow, archaeologists found a baby crocodile, and they found that it was stuffed with papyrus papers, full of extremely helpful information. Possibly the crocs that burned were stuffed with paper too, but they were burned.

I suppose that this story could end with the sad thought of how the mystery of ancient Egypt is farther away from being solved because of this, but on the bright side, the robbers probably never robbed again.


Random Facts:

  • Crocodiles were worshiped in ancient Egypt, and so, thus the for the crocodile cemetery. Did I mention that those poor robbers actually dug up a cemetery? Well, they did.
  •  You can read this story in Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, the book in which I first read the story. It states it better than I could ever state it.
  • This fact is about mummification: Did you know that you can mummify animals at your house? All you need to do is get a chicken, turkey, etc, at the grocery store, (I prefer to have the insides already taken out, because otherwise you have to do that nasty job yourself) then you put it in a plastic bag, COVER it with salt and wala! You let it sit for six weeks, changing it when the salt is wet and you, too, will have yourself a mummified chicken, turkey, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment